In light of a new public comment period on the proposed Duke Low Military Operations Airspace (MOA) that closes on May 17, PA Wilds Center for Entrepreneurship, Inc. recently hosted an information session on behalf of regional stakeholders. The webinar provided information on the proposal’s details and perspectives from a retired USAF colonel as well as residents of the Pennsylvania Wilds.
The Maryland Air National Guard (MD ANG) is seeking to expand its use of Pennsylvania’s airspace over six counties in northern Pennsylvania, known as the PA Wilds. The establishment of a new Low Military Operations Area (low MOA) over the area will permit various military units to fly A-10 Warthogs, F-16s and possibly other military aircraft as low as 100 feet Above Ground Level (AGL) and as often as every other day. Primary counties impacted would be Cameron, Clinton, Elk, McKean, Potter and Tioga.
The MD ANG released the Draft Final Environmental Assessment (EA) and Draft Final Finding of No Significant Impact (FONSI). A 45-day comment period will allow concerned citizens to respond to the revised documents and submit additional feedback until May 17, 2023.
The MD ANG expects to hear from key stakeholders and the people of the PA Wilds, including permanent and seasonal residents, business owners, elected officials, and visitors. Download the Draft Final EA and Draft Final FONSI:
Speakers during the webinar include: Susan M. Beck Colonel (Retired), USAF; Nicole Faraguna, policy director at PA Department of Conservation and Natural Resources; Ta Enos, PA Wilds Center CEO/Founder; Deborah Pontzer, former congressional staffer and area resident; Matt Marusiak, cabin owner and sportsman; Carolyn Newhouse, economic development perspective. The speakers fielded questions from the audience following the presentation portion of the program.
- Webinar recording link – https://youtu.be/EDoR4FrcFbI
- Slides presented by Susan Beck, U.S.A.F. Colonel (Ret.) (downloadable document)
- Slides presented by Nicole Faraguna, DCNR Policy Director (downloadable document)
- DUKE LOW MOA – SUBMIT COMMENTS to MD ANG (downloadable document)
- Link to view Draft Environmental Assessment (EA) and Draft Final Finding of No Significant Impact (FONSI) – https://www.175wg.ang.af.mil/
- Join PA Wilds Center’s email list to get a notification about related sign-on letters
- Citizens For the PA Wilds Facebook group
Please remember, all comments are due by May 17 to the Maryland Air National Guard.
Consider copying your representatives on your correspondence, but be sure to send it directly to the MD ANG at ngb.a4.a4a.nepa.comments.